Bond Photos - November 4, 2016
Update on the Building/Renovation Program
Thank you for the manner in which each of you are dealing with the ongoing construction and any inconvenience that the process may be presenting. The District is fully aware of the challenge regarding parking at Elmont Memorial High School, Floral Park Memorial High School and Sewanhaka High School. We are making every effort to minimize disruptions and any additional inconveniences that may evolve in the future.
As you are aware, the Board of Education has continued its work regarding the completion of the work included in the bond referendum that was approved by the four component communities. To date, Phase I (the total renovation of the ATS facility) and Phase II (the replacement of the roofs at each of the five high schools, the abatement of asbestos at each site and the athletic facilities) have all been completed. At the conclusion of Phase I and Phase II, the projects have been completed under the originally proposed budget. As you have continued to observe, Phase III is well underway. Construction on the building additions at Sewanhaka, Elmont Memorial and Floral Park Memorial High Schools is continuing and you will be able to observe the progress at each of these sites throughout the school year. The auditoriums at New Hyde Park Memorial High School and H. Frank Carey High School will be completely renovated and ready to be used by our students in February. The parking lot facilities at these two high schools have been renovated. Finally, many classrooms and offices throughout the District have been renovated with new flooring, paint, etc. This work will be continued throughout the next year, as well as, the initiation of the work that will be completed under the District’s energy performance contract. The work that will be completed during the energy performance contract phase includes the replacement of the controls, unit ventilators and lighting in all five high schools. In addition, New Hyde Park Memorial High School and H. Frank Carey High School will be converted to natural gas. Finally, a solar system will be installed on all five high school roofs that will generate approximately thirty five percent of the District’s electricity requirements.
A more specific update regarding each of the sites is as follows:
The work under Phase III of the bond referendum continues to proceed. The following is an update regarding each site:
• We are continuing to see progress on the auditorium addition at Floral Park Memorial High School. The foundation work is proceeding in preparation for the steel work. The students and staff are functioning extremely well during the construction at this site. New filtration water fountains have been installed.
• Work is continuing on the Sewanhaka High School addition. The foundation work is proceeding and will continue in preparation for the installation of the steel. The new lockers have been installed in the locker rooms and the students are extremely appreciative regarding these new facilities. New filtration water fountains have been installed.
• The work continues at Elmont Memorial High School in preparation for the construction of the new gymnasium. The foundation work is proceeding in preparation for the steel work.
• The auditorium has been gutted and work is proceeding on this facility at H. Frank Carey High School. The framing has been completed in the auditorium in preparation for the work to be completed by the HVAC contractor and installation of the walls. The H. Frank Carey High School site work has been completed to include the curb repair and installation of the new parking lot. The small driveway has also been paved. The weight room and wrestling rooms have been completed. We are awaiting the arrival of the new window for the weight room facility. Once it arrives, it will be installed immediately. New filtration water fountains are being installed as well.
• It is anticipated that we will not have use of the auditoriums at HFC and NHP until February. At New Hyde Park Memorial High School, the auditorium has been gutted and work is proceeding on this facility to include the initiation of the framing. The New Hyde Park Memorial High School site work has been completed to include the curb repair and installation of the new parking lot. The weight room facility has been completed. Filtration water fountains will be installed shortly. Finally, the wiring for the new cameras is proceeding during second shift work.
The District has also recently been notified by the State Department of Education that the work to be completed under the Board approved Energy Performance Contract has received State approval as well. The work will commence in the near future and will include the installation of new LED lighting, the conversion of H. Frank Carey High School and New Hyde Park Memorial High School to natural gas, the installation of new unit ventilators and controls, and the installation of the solar system on each of the five high school roofs. A majority of this work will be completed during the second shift after students are dismissed for the day.