Last Week's Weekly Update: April 3, 2017
Dr. Salinas' Weekly Update April 24, 2017
As we settle into spring, our students will be busy with many end-of-year events and preparing for final exams. As the weeks wane, it can be difficult to keep track of all of the events and responsibilities. This is also made, at times, more challenging by the realities of having less time to complete tasks as the calendar year comes to an end. Spring is busy for many reasons, so planning ahead is important. We are, as a school, continuously working to best communicate with families to ensure they feel as if they are prepared to meet the demands of the spring.
One of the places to keep updated with the events coming up is the ‘Announcements,’ link on our school homepage: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23587 This can be accessed by clicking on the link on the web page. Our staff updates the announcements daily to provide easy to access information for students and families. Parents may learn more about upcoming events such as prom, meetings for extra-curricular activities, sign-up for programs such as driver’s education and summer opportunities. The announcements page provides easy to use and up to date information for families.
By keeping up to date on the year-end events, students will be able to make the most of their spring. Our school is here to support families with these various details.
Thank you for your continued support and best wishes in the week ahead.
Chris Salinas, Ed.D.
- Principal’s Parent Forum this Wednesday, April 26 9:30 am Sewanhaka High School library classroom and 7:00 pm Stewart Manor School Library --- The Principal’s Parent Forums will be held during the 2nd semester of the 2016-2017 school year to encourage open dialogue between parents and Principal Chris Salinas. Parents will become empowered with information to help their child. They will receive information on resources to help their children succeed in school, make good decisions on academics, and become advocates for school programs. The agenda for this week’s parent forum can be accessed at: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23171
- AP Night Wednesday, April 26 at 7:00 pm --- AP Night will be held in the student dining hall on the 3rd floor for all current and prospective AP students. Advanced placement (AP) courses offer college level work with end of year examinations that can be taken for college credit. To learn more about your son or daughter’s AP course, please attend AP night.
- Nassau Community College High School Enrichment Program --- Students interested in taking college courses over the summer are invited to explore taking up to 2 summer classes at NCC. To learn more about the program, please visit this site and follow up with your son or daughter’s guidance counselor: http://www.ncc.edu/admissions/hs_enrich.shtml
- The Khan Academy Sign-Up Students are strongly encouraged to up for the Khan Academy and begin accessing free SAT practice and prep. In today’s update, a flyer has been posted to our flyer’s site and included in this e-news that explains in full how to link up to the Khan Academy practice site. A flyer from the College Board has also been included. This is an important tool to help students at every grade level.
- Math Extra Help Sessions Posted --- Parents may view the schedules for our Math extra help sessions on the parent flyers page at: http://www.sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/Page/23467
- Spring Concerts Dates and Locations --- With the closing of the auditorium for the remainder of the school year our spring concerts will be held in the H. Frank Carey High School auditorium. The dates are as follows: Junior High Concert - Thursday May 18th 7pm @ Carey HS and Senior High Concert - Monday May 22nd 7:30pm @ Carey HS.
- Summer Enrichment Opportunities --- For parents of students interested in summer internship and enrichment opportunities, a list of websites is listed below. Some of these programs have been closed, but parents are welcome to learn about them to explore applying for the summer of 2018. In the coming week’s additional sites will be listed for parents to explore and review:
- Elmont UFSD Brotherhood Award Recipients 206-2017 SHS was excited to celebrate Christopher Sims and Eric Crosby as the recipients of the Brotherhood Award presented at the American Legion in April.
- Jamaica Square Civic Association Recognizes 4 SHS Students --- SHS was proud to recognize the following four students at the Jamaica Square April meeting: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Award, Keyah James, Jackie Robinson Award, Tyler Whaley, Young Lady of Distinction Award, Precious Paul, and Social Justice Award, Sebastian Byron.
- Success for SHS English Department and Students --- The English department has produced first class work with recent award recipients so superb effort to Alyssa Molai and Kristen Wiederhold, who were awarded 3rd place in the Floral Park Women’s Club writing contest. They have also seen 6 of their students selected as champs in the Irish Cultural Society writing contest, in which over 600 students entered. Ms. Papaccio’s students: Ramsha Merchant and Yeung Park; and Ms. Crimmins’ students: Suhana Choudhury, Noah Ahmed, Sonia Solomon, and Nick LaGrega.
- Principal’s Award Winners --- Congratulations to the following staff and students recognized as the Principal’s Award winners for this week: Iverson Isenia, Zaheerah Fuller, Serissa Fequiere, Joshua Diaz, Wood Mael Edouard, Mr. Geritano, Mr. Mirsky, and Ms. Panriello.
- Box Tops for Education Program --- Parents may be aware that our school is an active participant in the Box Tops for Education program. Ms. Monahan in the main office does a tremendous job of coordinating the program for us, and we can always utilize additional collections. To learn more about the program please visit the site at: http://www.boxtops4education.com/
- SIRS Research Resource --- ProQuest SIRS is a valuable tool to help support student research projects: http://sks.sirs.com/webapp/issues-researcher